Sunday, May 7, 2017

The Jindo and It's Fans

In the wise words of Miss Jennifer Stearns, what a day. It was my intent to go to Busan this morning, a city about two and a half hours from where I currently reside.  Because it's so far, and because I'm taking care of three dogs right now (three!), I decided I didn't trust the puppy to be home alone for that long so I took her with me.

We got to the bus station and the buses to Busan were sold out.  So I came up with Plan B: Suncheon's Culture Street.

Tom (the puppy) and I got to Suncheon and hopped a cab to the street.  Now, being a cute little Jindo- a dog beloved by the Korean people- Tom had up to this point garnered her fair share of attention.  But it didn't stop there.  As soon as I stepped out of that cab, which had stopped right in front of a restaurant, the restaurant owners were all over her.  They begged be to sit down and drink some Makkolli.  They were fawning over Tom.  At 11:50am, I reluctantly agreed.

These old country folk knew not a word of English, but that didn't stop them from asking me everything they could think of about Tom and I.  Am I married?  That's a go-to question and not a big shock.  But from that to how I plan on getting Tom on airplanes, and everything.  I drank the Makkolli and wanted to get on my way.  But I couldn't.  By this point, some other fans had gathered and they also needed to talk to me and ask about Tom.

Now, my roommate named our girl puppy "Tom."  Weird, but I figured it was fine since we're in Korea and no one here knows that "Tom" is a boy's name...or so I thought.  One of the men asked her name and I told him.  "Tom??? Tom Cruise???" he shouted back.  "Miss Tom????" he continued to inquire.  Welp, I guess they think it's as weird a name as I do.

Again I was ready to leave.  But not until they insisted I eat lunch.  So I did.  I ate with three cyclists who happened by and they took pictures with me as if we were old chums.  And finally, a good hour and a half later, I was on my way.  They told me to come back and hang out anytime.  I just might.

1 comment:

  1. How do you have 3 dogs. Where did the 3rd come from????

    ReplyDelete