Thursday, February 23, 2017

ESL Series: I will quit the E-World

A few years ago, I taught a class of 5 middle school students:  Rich, Henry, Patrick, Sarah and Eva.  We got along well, but teenagers are teenagers and they liked to tease me and I usually teased them back.  I especially liked to get my revenge on them on test day.  On test day, I would type up a written test for them to take.  For this class, I always wrote the student's names into the test and would write things like "Change the sentence to past tense:  Rich loves Eva."  They would get so annoyed by it and it made me laugh.

One day, I made up the test and on the first page I made a reference to Rich loving Eva.  His response is above.  Didn't even write the answer, instead he wrote: "I kill you. Watch out your back."

On the next page, I wrote a story that they had to change into past tense.  It went something like.  "Henry is looking at Sarah.  Sarah is dancing with Patrick.  Rich loves Eva.  Rich asks Eva to dance with him.  Etc..."

So Rich didn't catch what I had done at first and begins doing as instructed.  Finally he realizes and halfway through writing out the past tense version of my story he stops writing and writes "teacher, you do this one more time I will quit the E-World."

I wish I could better describe the funny.  I miss this class to this day.

No comments:

Post a Comment