Tuesday, December 27, 2016

Big Country, Small World


I have the craziest story.  On day two of my trip in Russia, I was aboard a train going from Vladivostok to Slyudanka, a trip that totaled 69 hours.  On this trip I met a Korean guy who spoke English.  We became friends and we exchanged contact info.  This man was interviewing people along his trip and asking them about their travels and dreams.  I was one of his interviewees.

This man was getting off the train in Irkutsk, the stop after mine.  We said our goodbyes when I left the train, and I hadn't heard from him since.

Later on, I went to Olkhon Island on Lake Baikal.  On the island, I met another Korean traveler.  We enchanged info and we kept in touch via email.

Since coming back I realized I hadn't heard from my train friend.  I looked though my social media and I realized that we exchanged info but never connected.  I sent him a message using the email I had written down.

He responded and told me that he had lost my contact info along the trip.  But then he told me he had heard about me when he was in Moscow and then proceeded to ask me if I had visited Olkhon Island.  I said, "Wait, you heard ABOUT me?   And yes I did, how did you know?"  He told me he met a Korean man in Moscow that he decided to interview and after talking they both concluded that they had met me.  They had both met me separately, and then managed to met each other and deduce that they had both met me.  In Russia.  The biggest country on earth.  

Big country, small world.

2 comments:

  1. My grand mother always said "you have to be good where ever you go, you never know who knows you" �� Happy New Year Katie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are just so memorable, Katie!

    ReplyDelete